Sunday, March 18, 2012

You Jump I Jump


IMG_0641 You Jump I Jump! Seedskadee NWR
Figure 1. Pronghorn jumping off the fence in Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge.

Pronghorn is one of my favorite wildlife to watch, though this animal is not as popular as bear, elk or bighorn sheep. This is the fastest land animal in North America and only cheetah in Africa can be faster. If they both run a longer distance, cheetah can not catch up with pronghorn.

Although the pronghorn are such great runners, they are poor jumpers. At least, most books say it this way. The fence can easily block their way and give them a difficult time to migrate for seeking food. There is, however, always exception.

One day I was on my way to Grand Teton National Park from Rocky Mountain National Park. I decided to go by Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge, Wyoming and hoped to see something. Pronghorn was on my list and I really saw lots of them around. When a herd of about 10 pronghorn gathered near the fence, I though I can take my time because they have nowhere to run. To my surprise, they didn't follow what the books say. The whole herd just lined up and jumped off the fence one by one.

I guess I may be the worst predator they have even seen so that they try their best to do what they really don't want to do. Any way, I consider I am pretty lucky to get couple shots of this rare action from pronghorn.

Figure 1 is my last shot of their jump, while Figure 2 is an earlier shot for this short encounter. I stayed about one hour in this Refuge.

IMG_0633 It's My Turn
Figure 2. Pronghorn lining up and jumping off the fence in Seedskadee National Wildlife Refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment